Sunday, April 15, 2012

Playing With Bitter Orange

Bitter Orange
The tree I planted 15 years ago and thought to be sweet orange, turns out to be bitter orange, or some other kind of unidentified-yet citrus... The fruit looks like a hybrid between orange and lemon - orange in colour but with a little lemony "nipple". The flesh itself is more sour than that of lemon and with a peculiar sour-tangerine-like taste.

The best part though, is the scent of it's peel: fragrant and vibrant, somewhat like that of Meyer lemon's, orange and yellow mandarin. Spontaneously, I've decided to use the fruit of my own tree (grown organically, sans pesticide, herbicides, etc.) to be used in my next version of Immortelle l'Amour tea.

Bitter Orange

Bitter Orange

Bitter Orange

Bitter Orange

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 16, 2012 10:48 AM, Blogger vida.violeta said...

I am sure the tea will be a delightfully bright sensate experience--familiar yet exotic. I recently moved to a piece of property where the meyer lemons are prolific and they have greatly enhanced many facets of my life!

 
At April 20, 2012 11:07 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Meyer lemons are amazing!
Just smelled the flowers in a nursery today - they are so beautiful and fresh yet complex.

Just got back home from my trip (thanks to which I was able to harvest some of my oranges!)so haven't a chance to work on the tea yet; but I made a marmalade from the fresh oranges at my grandma's kitchen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home