Thursday, March 15, 2012

Must Read: Smelliest Cities In The World

Humans have been lead by their noses to travel across the world to seek out exotic spices, herbs and perfumes. This article by Chandler Burr on GQ Magazine reminded me of the part of traveling which is least mentioned - the smell of mundane life in distant cities - or in familiar ones.

I haven't been to all of the ones listed, but my own list will certainly include Jerusalem (Ancient stones and dust, baked bread and cotton clothes on the lines), Montreal (all I can say is that it smells wide open and free - which is a sign I should pay it a visit soon!), and London (which I think Chandler has described very accurately! It's very sentimental, old fashioned smelling, with old furniture, flower gardens and everything British). Paris is certainly not the best smelling, which might explain why it had evolved into such an important perfume-using capital... And neither are New York and Tel Aviv, although that wouldn't stop me for visiting either again and having a wonderful time there.

What are your most favourite - and least favourite - smelling cities? Can you describe their smell?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2012 1:12 PM, Blogger Carol said...

When I first read that article, the first thing that came to mind is that someone in Paris must have upset Burr as it was a very intimate smelling reason why he listed it as first! ;) Did some diss him? Turn down an offer? I'm curious!

 
At March 15, 2012 5:13 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

You'll have to ask Chandler Burr about that.
Like you, I am a bit surprised there are no other "worst smelling cities" in that article. Surely Paris can't be the stenchiest one ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home