Friday, September 17, 2010

New Arrival: Hematite Poison Ring


First of all, the Labradorite ring I posted yesterday was already sold!

Fortunately, I have a few more interesting rings to share with you, and I'm sure that among my collection you'll find just the right one to store your favourite scents...

Today I want to talk about this special Hematite ring. I always was fascinated by hematite - what looks like both a metal and a stone... For the first time ever, I found a poison ring with that stone, and I'm excited to share it with you!

Hematite in nature looks very much like the rock in the above image. My stepfather found something similar in the Sinai desert and I always thought it was very neat: it looked like a sculpture and no one could tell if it's a rock or metal (it kind of is both...)!

Hematite is, in fact, a mineral - an iron oxide, to be exact. It occurs in reaction to water, and therefore, when it was discovered on Mars in 2001, this was a sign that there was (and perhaps still is) water on that planet.

The name for hematite is from aima, the Greek word for blood ((αἷμα), which is because sometimes hematite is red. Red hematite is what was originally used for lipstick or rouge.

So here is the Hematite ring for you!
Hematite was very popular in Victorian era, and this ring has a bit of both the Victorian and ethnic feel to it. It is brand new, and I think (by the looks and the design, with my relatively short acquaintance with styles of poison rings in the past 3 years of collecting them), it was most likely made in Indonesia.

I am excited to fill it up with a perfume of choice for the one person who buys it (I only have one of each of these rings - each one I consider to be a lucky find!)
I recommend a perfume that feel both cool and strong, especially - Vetiver Racinettes, Palas Atena or l'Herbe Rouge.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At September 19, 2010 5:41 AM, Anonymous Olfacta said...

Interesting! Daniel Smith, an art supply manufacturer in Seattle, makes a line of paints with ground hematite. I have a few of them in watercolor. They behave beautifully, granulating just right. But I didn't know that hematite itself was so rare.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home